High Speed Engine Pressure Sensors
High speed engine pressure sensors are a must for engine pressure analysis. TFX does not manufacture sensors. There are about a half dozen sensor manufacturers in the world that make the necessary high speed in-cylinder pressure (ICP) sensors and high speed in-port pressure (IPP) sensors. TFX has access to all of them. In an effort to minimize overall system costs for the end user, sensors can be purchased through TFX just as cost effectively as directly through the sensor manufacturer.
Whether installed in the cylinder, or in the ports, high speed engine pressure sensors must have a response time typically 1000 times faster than a conventional pressure sensor, in order to keep up with the moving parts and processes, in real time, at high rpm.
Data must be generated for each degree of rotation of the crankshaft, or in some cases at fractions of a degree of rotation of the crankshaft. As an example at a mere 5000 rpm, the crankshaft rotates through 30,000 degrees in 1 second, at 10000 rpm its 60,000 degrees in one second. High speed pressure sensors are designed to keep up to this pace, and more.
In the case of cylinder pressure sensors, in addition to being high speed, the sensor must withstand pressures of 1000 psi to 15000 psi (depending on the application), and brief repeated exposure to the combustion process which can have temperatures exceeding 4000 F.
High speed pressure sensors are not only extremely capable, but are designed to work for hundreds of millions of cycles. In some instances (extreme applications) TFX provides additional protection for the sensors, above and beyond the manufacturer's offerings. No one benefits from a sensor coming to an early demise. .....Learn more
- TFX IS THE SOLE SUPPLIER OF IN-CYLINDER PRESSURE (ICP) SPARK PLUGS SUITED FOR VERY HIGH COMBUSTION PRESSURES (450 BAR/6500 psi)
- WIDE RANGE OF ICP SPARK PLUGS - M10, M12, M14, M18 THREADS, VARIOUS HEAT RANGES, VARIOUS REACHES
- WIDE RANGE OF GLOW PLUG STYLE ICP SENSORS FOR DIESEL ENGINES
- WIDE RANGE OF HEAD MOUNTED ICP SENSORS STARTING AS SMALL AS 3 MM IN THREAD SIZE
- ICP SENSORS WITH SUSTAINED OPERATING PRESSURE RANGES FROM 1000 PSI TO 15000 PSI
- SMALL IN-PORT PRESSURE (IPP) SENSORS WITH M5 THREADS
- NO WATER COOLING REQUIRED FOR IPP SENSORS EVEN IN EXHAUST PORT LOCATIONS
- CUSTOM LENGTH PRESSURE SENSORS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST AT MINIMAL ADDITIONAL COST
- ALL RACING SENSORS POWERED BY TFX ANALYZERS
- ALL RACING SENSORS CUSTOM SPEC'D BY TFX
- SENSORS SUPPLIED "AT COST"
A Few Examples